My daughter came up with the idea for this lovely t-shirt for herself after she saw a program about how to recycle clothing. We made the bows together. She attached every bow one by one on the t-shirt with needle and thread all by herself. I stuck around just in case she needed help. I really love doing these things together with her. As a result, we ended up with a lovely t-shirt and valuable mother-daughter quality time.
Making a shirt like this is super simple!
- T-shirt (we used an old one)
- a pair of textile scissors
- Ankara African Dutch wax fabric
- needle and thread
- tape measure
At the back side of the t-shirt draw a straight line with a marker in the middle, starting from the top all the way down. If you want to determine the exact center of the t-shirt, fold it lengthwise and iron it briefly. When you unfold it, a line will appear in the middle of your shirt.
Cut the back of the shirt in half. Now you have a shirt with an open back.
Cut out 7 pieces of fabric (5 cm x 10cm / “1.9 x “3.9) for the bows and 7 strips of fabric (1 cm x 4 cm / “0.4 x “1.5) for the center of the bows.
Hold the centerpiece of the fabric between your thumb and index finger to create a bow.
Wrap the small strip around the centre of the bow and secure it with needle and thread.
Put marks on both sides of the split t-shirt where the bows have to be attached. Make sure that the bows are evenly spread with enough space between each of them.
Sew all the bows on the shirt with needle and thread.
Et voilà! A nice airy t-shirt for a nice summer day.
- This post is not sponsored and I was not compensated. All opinions are my own.
- Unless otherwise stated, I (Merlien van Axel Dongen from Fayahfayah.com) am the legal copyright holder of all images on this website and it may not be used, reprinted, (partially) modified or published without my written consent.